Has ITIL been oversold?

Wednesday 19 August 2009

This Blog post by Michael Jagdeo has the following statement:

"The more I speak with industry experts, the more I realize that ITIL is getting a bad name. It’s gotten to the point where some people can’t even mention ITIL, even when they are implementing ITIL best practices!"

Ouch, I hope this is not going to be the standard industry response, I know ITIL has been around too long to be considered a fad, but still this is a concern.

I have been part of a few bad "deployments" of ITIL, and anyone who reads this blog will know I am no huge fan of simply following the dogma (or the ITIL books) without thinking hard about why (hence supportTHOUGHT).

I still believe ITIL has a future. There are issues with ITIL but this post is not about that, I would like to hear some non-sales success stories, I think it's about time we as managers told tales of delivery and value, if the only place for success stories are from consultants and software vendors the credibility gap will only grow.

Thoughts?

0 comments:

Post a Comment